Thursday, December 24, 2009

Do You Believe?

As shared previously (in "Photos on the Square" and "Pony Rides and Smiles"), our family spent Monday night at the Lights of the Ozarks on the Fayetteville Square. We looked at the lights, we took photos, we rode the ponies, we even had kettle corn. This year a new exhibit mesmerized Shawn--a live reindeer exhibit with Santa and his sleigh.

He insisted on having his picture taken with the sign for the exhibit.


We were pretty surprised at his strong reaction to Santa. We could understand the fascination with the reindeer--they were pretty cool to see! It was his determination that we all look through the door as much as possible to see Santa on his sleigh that we didn't expect, especially since Shawn has been ... unenthusiastic about Santa the last few years while trying to be like his brother.

Once we looked through the doorway to see Santa, Shawn asked me a question that will stick with me for a long time. My sweet baby, getting so big and changing in so many ways, asked me, "Mommy, now do you believe?"

Oh, how I love my boy. I hope this sweet innocence, the kind that leads him to giving lots of hugs to lots of people, the kind that has him tell teachers and coaches he loves them at random times, the kind that blows kisses all the time, I hope this innocence can stay a while longer. I'm so glad that this sweet boy can remind us with his question to believe in the magic, and to make the season special. Because based upon some of his other lines of questions this year, it won't be too much longer before this child's faith will believe in what REALLY matters. Yes, my baby, Mommy believes.

No comments:

Post a Comment