Monday, December 21, 2009

What Will He Think of Next?

Sometimes our boys have a different thought process than I do. Tyler, our nine-year-old, is usually easier for me to follow. He's like me in many ways. Six-year-old Shawn, however, usually seems to be thinking in an entirely different pattern than I am. He's much more like his Daddy. Somehow, I'm constantly surprised by what Shawn will think of next. 

Often, what he thinks of next is not very wise. I've had reason to ask him some strange questions.

"So you're telling me that you decided to see if you could get to class from the lunchroom with your eyes closed, and that's why you ran smack into the pole and have a big knot on your forehead?"

Sometimes, though, he thinks up things that are pretty funny, as most kids do. Who knows what he was thinking this weekend when we discovered "baby bananas" at the grocery store. He was a bit unhappy to not get to take them home. Apparently, he wanted to let them grow up!

Sunday afternoon we also enjoyed another gem from his mind, coming completely at random.

Shawn: "What was Jesus called when he was born?"
Me: "Ummm, Jesus?"
Shawn: "No, that's not right."
[long pause]
Daddy: "BABY Jesus???"
Shawn: "THAT'S IT!"

I may not always know what he's thinking, but (most of the time) it will be a joy to find out!

Do your kids think more like you do, or is it usually a surprise?

No comments:

Post a Comment