Sunday, June 22, 2008

MS Napping

Apparently I’m not as “back to normal” as I’d hoped. I know I still have symptoms, but am considering them to be residual, and really do expect them to improve. I still have some numbness, but remember experiencing that for several months after the major attack I had when I was first diagnosed with MS. I have to use my cane for balance still, but I know I used that through the summer after that first attack, then didn’t have to use it the majority of the time. I also still have some difficulty controlling my hands, which again I remember continuing through the summer in 2006 as well—I even cut my hair short that time to make it easier to manage (though that backfired on me, because the shorter hair wound up needing more curling iron and brush action than the longer hair!)
Compared to a few weeks ago, I have improved so much it makes me feel back to normal. I was able to drive again and was able to return to work. I am even able to shower without the need for any help, thanks to a handheld shower and bench provided by my supportive family. Unfortunately, that means it’s very easy to overdo it.
Yesterday was an example of overdoing it. I spent the morning watching the matches on the last day of my almost-8-year-old’s soccer camp. It was overcast, and not as warm, for which I was quite thankful, but it still took energy. I got a haircut in the afternoon, and then had a date with HoneyBear in the evening, so I didn’t take much time to rest. The restaurant was a little warm to me, and I overheated toward the end of dinner. I hate the feeling it causes, a swamping sensation of fatigue that is immobilizing and makes it feel difficult to breathe. Getting back out to the car and blasting the air conditioning cooled me down, but by today it was time to get some rest.
For most, an afternoon or weekend nap is a luxury; for those with MS it’s a major part of managing the disease. With the boys spending the night at Grandma’s house, I was able to have the day to myself while hubby worked, and slept all morning. There’s something so special about my “MS nap”! I seem to sleep so much more deeply than during nighttime sleep. I do tend to wake up a bit groggy, but I tend to feel so much better overall, it’s wonderful! Maybe now I can really be back to my “new normal”!

No comments:

Post a Comment