Saturday, June 14, 2008

Bye Bye Prednisone

Yesterday was the last day of my steroids! As much as I dislike the side effects, I can't deny how important they have been in getting me through the worst of this attack. I returned to relative independence within two weeks of the attack, which happens to be the average when using steroids. I'm still dealing with extreme fatigue, a tight band around my rib cage, and lingering numbness and pain. As far as limiting daily life, though, the biggest challenge I still have is walking any distance and lifting my legs, such as getting into the shower. I do vaguely remember that aspect taking much longer to get past after my big attack in 2006, so I'm staying hopeful that it may not be a permanent impairment.

I'm down to only a week of Capaxone left, so I had to contact the doctor today to decide whether I should order more. The decision has been definitely made to switch to Tysabri infusion based upon the severity of this attack. I will finish the Capaxone I have on hand, then allow 2 weeks for it to work out of my system before taking the plunge. I'll be going in next week to start the paperwork for the Tysabri. I'm hopeful that this will be a good way to manage my disease.

No comments:

Post a Comment